Tuesday, April 18, 2006

all of this energy should not be wasted.

that's what "they" want to me to do. Put on your head phones, be soothed by the screaming guitars and the abrasive lyrics and calm down. Let your anger seep into your music, don't direct it towards anything useful. Don't direct it at us.

And moments after I typed those words, I clicked a link. Another blog. Another. I read for 10 minutes without realized I had ever left this page. I returned to find my train of thought departed, and my anger subsided. Exactly opposite of what I had planned. Exactly what they wanted. To be distracted by the flashy technology, silenced and disarmed, suddenly without point or purpose.

What the fuck do I do when I feel I have discovered injustice? What power do I have, as a person (young or old) without political position or influence, to change what I feel is wrong? How do I turn my anger into something productive? Something meaningful? Worthwhile? Lasting? How can I use my anger to make a change?

At one point, I would have used my art. Ran out my back door with 15 cans of spraypaint and told the world how I felt with my aerosol expression. This is no longer an option for me. But I beg you, take a pen, take some paint, and write your feelings on something that isn’t yours. Something public. Put your revolutionary/activist message into the world, and watch it become the most exhilarating thing you've ever done. It's more than easy to never get caught, and it is amazing to feel like your purpose is being discovered with every person that walks by.

But we live in a time when a more permanent change needs to occur. I could spend pages outlining the individual injustices of our society, but I'm sure you know the things I’m talking about. So how does one person, or group of people, stop a global society from itself to save the world? Art alone will not do it. Words alone will not do it. Protest alone will not do it. I alone will not do it. But the cumulative actions of millions upon millions of people could change something. There are millions of people who feel the same way as me. They feel the same way as you. But they feel that they're alone, and they feel helpless, exactly was we do. If somehow these people were to organize, to commit, and to actually take action, change could be accomplished.

You are going to finish reading this (and I hope you prove me wrong) and click the next web page the tickles your fancy, every word forgotten. But I want you to try and hold onto these ideas, if only in the very back of your mind, so that when I return with a stronger medium and a larger podium, you will remember these words, and realize that your individual anger, when directed properly, can be that change that makes this world a better place.

No comments: