so i'm working on a little piece right now, but it isn't finished and Thanksgiving isn't helping. this is my third night in a row going to sleep with The Wine about my ankles and somehow that makes it hard for me to concentrate on writing anything for more than 10 minutes at a time.
this does not mean that i haven't been thinking/compiling new thoughts.
being around my family for an extended period of time has given me a new perspective on alot of familiar marriages - aunts and uncles, cousins and their spouses, my grandparents even. to begin:
Thanksgiving is very much about food and the preparing of that food.
In my family, it is almost exclusively the women who cook.
This is totally fine with me, maybe normal even, but I'm still always looking for ways to help in and out of the kitchen (dishes, grocery-store run, etc.) plus I made dinner rolls.
From scratch.
Nigga.
But with many of the men in my family, this kind of thought never crosses their minds.
Watching football, picking at a cheese-and-cracker appetizer.
I start to think that maybe this is a new expectation,
I am the youngest man present and from (indisputably) the most progressive background,
maybe this is a Generation-Now kind of idea.
That a man might participate in - even be an equal contributor to - the preparation of a meal.
My uncles looking at me sideways while I'm elbows deep in soapy dish water.
In all likelyhood, if I should ever get married in this day and age and place, my wife will not be slaving alone in the kitchen while I relax on the couch - even if she wanted me to, I don't think I could. Those days are over maybe. At least for me.
I wonder who will have it better off, me or my uncles.
No comments:
Post a Comment