Sunday, August 12, 2012

Check My War Wounds unnnnh

this is pretty much going to be a blog post filled with pictures of my cut and bloody hand. just be warned about that.

 on July 26th I stabbed myself in the finger with an impact drill. leaning forwards on a ladder, putting up a steel stud ceiling, the thing was still spinning while it was inside my hand and just twisting up flesh. the guy who is running the jobsite says, 'fuck man that looks pretty nasty. better put some blue tape on it quick.' so i taped that mother up and just kept on working. when I got home I found a craggy, meaty hole in my finger and I took a picture of it.


 

 there's something incredible that the human body can do and it's that when it gets cut or burned or stabbed with an electric drill it can repair itself in what sometimes seems like a really short window of time. I used to write letters to a girl and for a while she was obsessed with this cut on her hand, 'oh my gosh is looks all green around the edges today but it's way better than before!' she gave me probably daily updates on what her hand looked like, the first person to really bring to the front (center frame) of my attention this crazy process and achievement. 'it's like i'm a superhero or something, i'm regenerating flesh!'

 

this is just the second day and already something major has happened. or maybe I just washed my hands. less little globs and the edges look smoothed out even. the first day when I squeezed at the sides all the flesh would sort of swell out. today, not so much.

i decided to take pictures of my hand every day because really this is an incredible process. I am nursing to this little piece of me that is in trouble and watching it grow back, watching it repair as part of me.



this is what my hand looks like after work. I refuse to buy band aids and am using masking tape. you can click on any of these pictures and they'll get bigger.


meaty, puffing redness. but a little bit harder now, crusted even. i made a little barrier against germs without even thinking about it.


roughly the texture of a piece of low-quality broccoli beef from maybe a seedy alameda chinese restaurant.


when i took the bandage off on this day I actually said the sentence, 'wow that's really remarkable!' the thing has flattened now to pretty much the plane of the rest of my finger, dried out and completely feelingless to the touch. this was the beginning of when I got bored of taking finger pictures and started to make the backgrounds interesting.


this is the map of a major city.


 this is me with my shirt off, if you're into that sort of thing.


i stopped wearing the bandage to work even though it made me look like some kind of cool MMA fighter or something. this picture was taken on August 5th which means this was only 10 days after I fucking gouged myself horrifically. 10 days!? i just feel really happy that I can do this. what if when you got cut it just stayed that way forever? i heard old people heal alot less quickly and that's one of alot of things I'm not looking forward to about being old.


toasty cappuccino coloring returned, at this point I just call myself entirely healed, although I know alot of sissy businessmen probably wouldn't. if it doesn't hurt you and you can't really see it even, it's not a wound. no shirt again and if you'll notice on the tip of the same finger is a blood blister that I cut open with a razor knife and is now pretty much the main injury on my radar. and a big blister on my right foot from running. 

all of these will disappear someday and be scars maybe or just fix themselves until i'm just a fully regenerated person again.

No comments: