Monday, August 06, 2012

When We Were Young : Part 2 of 3

i'm just going to try and remember everything i can about CDs.

a guy at work today told me I should bring in some old cassette tapes and play them during the day and I laughed and said, "jesus dude, i never owned any cassette tapes - don't you know how old I am?" and then when I think of it, I really came into music-listening age even as CDs were starting to phase out.

i can remember my sister's boyfriend Jose had a huge binder full of them in the back of his car and one day someone broke the window out and stole them. he said, "that was like fucking 300 dollars worth of CDs!"

i can remember sitting at the computer in my parent's downstairs - huge tube monitor, the whole thing a light off-grey - and listening to an external plug-in CD burner hum on the desk. somebody had lent me a CD and I had ripped the songs onto my computer and then I was replacing them exactly onto a new blank CD. the thing hummed and hummed for maybe 10, 15 minutes.

No comments: