I awoke, my sheets dripping with orange juice, in a room I had never seen before. I snapped quickly out of my sleepy daze and examined my surroundings. The room had no furniture, and no shelves, but a short, green carpet with cords sprouting from the fibers like plants. The roof was of Victorian style, painted plain white, and stood high above above my head. Though it showed no visible signs of aging, I knew it was going to cave in at any moment. I sprinted barefoot out into the cold morning air, and down the narrow driveway. The driveway was composed of thousands of sharp grey rocks, which ripped my feet apart with every step. I walked until I could bear no more pain, having traveled only 100 feet, and sat down. I suddenly became extremely interested in my bleeding feet, and I stared mesmerized into my wounds for hours, my mind consumed with the pain. When I finally looked up, I became aware of my scenery, which was a shocking contrast to my bleeding, dying feet. While I had been absorbed with my injuries, the driveway had melted into a deep valley, which was alive with the sounds nature; wind blowing through bright, blooming flowers, and small waves crashing into the rock beach of a massive lake. The sharp colors cut through the haziness my trance had created, and I became aware that I was the only animal in the valley. With that realization came a dryness in my mouth and I walked to the edge of the water for a drink. I bent down and filled my body with handful upon handful of cool water from the lake. When my mouth had stopped crying for refreshment, I straightened myself out and began to examine the water. The sun was dancing off the small waves, creating a nonstop light show for my eyes. I stared deep into the flashes of light, letting them overwhelm my senses. The sun shone brighter and brighter with each moment creating diamond lightning strikes, piercing flashes which began to hurt my eyes. I could not look away as the hot white flares cut my retinas open, hot boiling blood running down my face, melting my skin as it slid down my chest. The unbearable temperature that these teardrops brought began to shut down my mind, and I knew I was going to die a charred bloody mess. One second from death I regained control of my body, I shut my eyes and dove headfirst into the waves. I held my breath and let the icy water heal me, feeling the heat lift off as the cool swept in. I was no longer afraid of the glimmering waves, and I resurfaced to fill my lungs with air. The valley was just as beautiful as it had been before, and even as the sun was setting, the colors shone through the darkness...
To be continued.
No comments:
Post a Comment