Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I found this written on a couple pieces of binder paper, floating around in my room.

When I turned 18, for my birthday, Hannah Fletcher
gave me a white tee shirt.
She had bought it at Goodwill and, with an iron-on patch, put the words
"I Am Kerouac" across the front
No, it must have been Christmas, not my birthday.
I pulled it out of the bag and turned it around to read

"our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."

I must have thanked her and I must have kissed her but
none of that is the important part.

The road is life. I am Kerouac.
the shirt said what I had been thinking for months,
reading and re-reading On The Road on the back of
buses and scribbling little poems on San Francisco park benches
making sure everyone saw how much of a writer I was
how much of a traveler
how much I as just like Jackie
and now I had a shirt to prove it.

I unrolled my little sleeping bag on the beach, beneath the stars
I smoked my cigarettes by the train tracks
I followed him step by step, page by page
in fact, chasing
until the next Christmas
when I saw Hannah Fletcher again.

this time there were no kisses, but by some random
act of coincidence I was wearing the shirt
I AM KEROUAC.
I had three shots of whiskey and maybe a half-liter
of wine before we even got there.
Three hours later someone saw me walk out with a
full bottle of Wild Turkey.
I can't remember what I did on the beach
for three hours.
but when I came back the bottle was empty.


I only stayed in Australia for eleven days.
and when I got back, sick and disgusted and not
knowing why I had ever gone at all
the shirt was at the bottom of my hamper
permanently stained with dirt and wine and whisky
and I didn't believe what it said anymore.

No comments: