i had a dream that I was on the freeway. it was night time. late enough for the sun to be completely gone from the sky, but the lanes were still thick with cars; an endless snaking whiteness against the hovering lanterns of red. My eyes were tired and I could feel myself become distracted by my thoughts.
Click. All of the illuminating signs went off. The boards hanging from overpasses fell into black space. Then the street lights along the freeways edge - gone. Maybe a city-wide power outage. You never realize how narrow a freeway is until its edges go black. Nobody else in any other cars seem to notice, but then how could you really tell? You have almost no way of communicating with these people, and there really isn't anything to do except keep driving.
Every headlight goes out in unison. For just an instant the brakelights burn red, alone, and then extinguish. A little chasm of complete darkness. My foot presses down hard on the accelerator. And I drive off into the night.
1 comment:
this sounds pretentious.
Post a Comment